School to pay $1M after boy who ate teacher’s snack died
By: April Carson
In a landmark settlement, the Nebraska school district has consented to pay an impressive one million dollars to the family of an eighth-grade student who tragically passed away after consuming a granola bar handed out by their teacher. The boy had severe allergies to peanuts and tree nuts, which the granola bar contained without his knowledge.
On Monday night, the Papillion La Vista school board will be deciding on a wrongful death settlement with Jagger Shaw's parents. The late teenager was fourteen years old at the time of his passing.
The school district conceded to pay the family a total of $1 million. This is believed to be one of the largest wrongful death settlements in Nebraska history.
As the settlement was mediated through a probate court process instead of brought to civil litigation, scant details about last May's proceedings are included in court documents.
Jagger Shaw's parents claim that their son had a fatal reaction to his teacher's snack, which contained peanuts. He was known to have an allergy to pines and peanuts, which the family said was well-documented by his doctor but had not been properly disclosed to school personnel.
Neither Jagger's parents nor the Omaha World-Herald would divulge any information regarding the settlement. Nevertheless, his father Thomas Shaw shared a post on Facebook claiming that one of Jagger's teachers at Liberty Middle School gave him a granola bar when he asked to go to the office for something to eat.
It is not known how much of the $1 million settlement will go to his parents, but it has been confirmed that part of the money will be used to promote food allergy awareness in public schools nationwide. The Shaw family has also set up a foundation in Jagger's memory that focuses on preventing similar tragedies from taking place.
Tom Shaw composed, "The teacher said Jagger could have one of her granola bars. He took it and had consumed half by the time he began to feel an allergic reaction."
The Shaw family's attorney stated, "This case underscores the importance of safety protocols and heightened awareness when it comes to students with food allergies. All individuals with applicable allergies should have their needs addressed promptly so that tragic incidents like this can be avoided."
His post neglected to provide any specifics regarding Jagger's allergy or if the school was informed of it. However, this does highlight the importance of education about food allergies in schools. With an estimated 6-8% of children having a food allergy, schools must be equipped to handle such medical emergencies and maintain safe environments for all students.
According to Shaw, Jagger initially visited the school nurse's office where he was given Benadryl as an allergy medication. Unfortunately, it did not prove effective, so the nurse administered epinephrine with an EpiPen instead. Subsequently, Jagger was transported via ambulance to a hospital until his death on May 7th, 2022.
This tragedy could have been avoided if the school had better protocols in place to deal with food allergies. This case serves as a reminder of how important it is for educators and administrators to take food allergies seriously and make sure students are kept safe. As a result of the lawsuit, the school district is set to pay $1 million as part of an agreement with Jagger's family. The money will be used to fund programs and initiatives designed to help children suffering from food allergies.
Hopefully, tragedies such as this one can be avoided in the future by implementing better protocols for dealing with allergies.
On Monday, the Shaw family's attorney failed to provide any information regarding their settlement when contacted via phone. Despite this, a spokesperson for the school district released a statement saying that they were deeply saddened by Jagger's death and had worked with the family to come up with a resolution that was satisfactory to both parties.
The school district's liability insurance will cover the full cost of the settlement. The district also made a public commitment to make sure all of its schools are as safe as possible for students with food allergies.
The Shaw family released a statement after the settlement was reached, saying that they hope Jagger's death will lead to more awareness and understanding about food allergies in schools and society at large. They also encouraged people to be more mindful of what they bring into the classroom to avoid similar tragedies in the future.
The school district has since implemented stricter protocols around food allergies, including providing training for staff and identifying safe places for students with allergens to eat or store their food. They hope that by taking these steps, they can create a healthier and safer environment for all students.
Understanding the Big Secret About UFO Trauma w/ Special Guest Roderick Martin
April Carson is the daughter of Billy Carson. She received her bachelor's degree in Social Sciences from Jacksonville University, where she was also on the Women's Basketball team. She now has a successful clothing company that specializes in organic baby clothes and other items. Take a look at their most popular fall fashions on bossbabymav.com
To read more of April's blogs, check out her website! She publishes new blogs on a daily basis, including the most helpful mommy advice and baby care tips! Follow on IG @bossbabymav
LOOKING TO INVEST IN 4BIDDENKNOWLEDGE? CLICK HERE TO MAKE A CONTRIBUTION AND GET INVOLVED WITH 4BIDDENKNOWLEDGE TV AND BECOME PART OF THE MOVEMENT!
Are you a member of the 4BK TV Channel? If not, you should want to become one!!
On 4bk.tv, you can Expand your mind and explore your consciousness in our collection of workshops by Billy Carson, including Remote viewing - Ancient History - Anomaly Hunting, and how to Manifest the things in life you've always desired!